Creating maintainable test suites for complex systems. The episode describes some complexities involved with hardware testing, then shares techniques for shifting complexity out of the test cases.
- quick overview of what test instruments are
- discussion of API and communication with instruments
- techniques for shifting complexity out of test cases
These techniques should apply to all test suites dealing with complex systems:
- Creating test cases that are easy to read and debug and tell a story about what is being tested.
- Pushing setup complexity into fixtures.
- Pushing lengthy repetitive API call sets into helper functions.
- Using stable, documented, interfaces.
- Spectrum analyzer
- Function generator
- Arbitrary waveform generator
- Wireless Communications Testers & Systems
- R&S CMW Platform
- SCPI - Standard Commands for Programmable Instruments
- VISA - Virtual instrument software architecture
- PyVISA: Control your instruments with Python
- pytest book