pip dependency resolver changes
Episode 124 · August 3rd, 2020 · 44 mins 15 secs
About this Episode
pip is the package installer for Python.
Often, when you run pip, especially the first time in a new virtual environment, you will see something like:
WARNING: You are using pip version 20.1.1; however, version 20.2 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.
And you should. Because 20.2 has a new dependency resolver.
Get in the habit, until October, of replacing
pip install with
pip install --use-feature=2020-resolver.
This flag is new in the 20.2 release.
This new pip dependency resolver is the result of a lot of work.
Five of the people involved with this work are joining the show today: Bernard Tyers, Nicole Harris, Paul Moore, Pradyun Gedam, and Tzu-ping Chung.
We talk about:
- pip dependency resolver changes
- user experience research and testing
- crafting good error messages
- efforts to improve the test suite
- testing pip with pytest
- some of the difficulties with testing pip
- working with a team on a large project
- working with a large code base
- bringing new developers into a large project
- Changelog — pip 20.2 documentation — Including --use-feature=2020-resolver
- pypa/pip: The Python package installer — github repo
- testing pip - documentation
- pip - The Python Package Installer — pip 20.2 documentation
- Changes to the pip dependency resolver in 20.2 — Changes to the pip dependency resolver in 20.2